Saturday, February 18, 2017

How to: Avoid Stains and Wash them

Period stains are so annoying. Whether you get them while you sleep, overflow, or get a surprise. So today, I am going to be helping you all with ways to avoid your stains or wash them out. In a past post, I talked about knowing when your period is going to arrive, instead of being surprised by it. Go check it out: How to: Keep Track of your Period

Avoiding Stains:

Proper Tampon Wear:
When wearing a tampon, it is important to be wearing a pad with your tampon. Sometimes people wear just a tampon without anything on the underwear and they end up staining their underwear.

A panty liner can be good sometimes if it is a light day. If you are on a heavy day with a tampon and a panty liner, things don't usually end well.

With a pad, if you bleed through your whole tampon, there will still be a large enough absorbent surface to catch your blood.

Also it is a good idea to change your tampon every few hours instead of every 7-8 hours.


Pads for Nighttime:
I recommend getting some of the pads that are extra long and absorbent for the night. But the price of all those period products does add up.

An alternative to this, is using a regular pad but using panty liners to create an extension of your normal pad. This will act as the extra extension on the night pad but created with things you already have. 2 normal pads could work too, but it's a bit more wasteful. 


Washing your Stained Clothing:

Soap:
Using soap to wash out stains is most likely the cheapest option. Although, this method works best when the stain is "fresh", instead of a stain that is a few days or weeks old.
1. Wet the area of the stain
2. Add soap to the stained area
3. Rub intensely and occasionally wash the area and add more soap if needed

Stain Remover:
There are those stain remover sticks and I have found them quite effective. Follow the instructions on the stick and this should work well. I have not used this method in a really long time so I don't really remember how it works. If you use this method, it would be nice if you commented below to let others know how it works. 

Bleach: 
This only works for white things and I would only recommend doing this method for white pants and I wouldn't really recommend doing it for your underwear. I have never trued this method before but I have seen my parents use bleach to get stains out of white shirts. So it should work right? I would ask an adult about using bleach and please be careful with it. 


I hope you all enjoyed this post and found this week of posting everyday so far to be useful. Come back tomorrow at 12:00pm EST for another period post. Let me know of any topics you want to cover and I can write a post about them in the future. 

Have a wonderful day,
-Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment