Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Winter Storm Stella - A Snow Day

As many may have heard, there has been a humongous winter storm named Stella, sweeping across the US. An just yesterday, it hit New England and areas around there. The snow was starting really early in the morning and kept on going continuously throughout the day. I'm pretty sure everyone didn't have school. More towards the afternoon the snow was coming down really hard. You would shovel one part of your driveway, and a minute or so later, it was covered again. I don't know why, but my mom went to work, and I was on duty for shoveling the driveway. I shoveled the driveway around 11 or so and I was struggling to keep it clear. And finally when she arrived, she rolled up the driveway and parked the car. The minute she stepped out of the car, with the door still open, the car started rolling down the driveway. I know it may seem stupid, but my mom held onto the door, which helped the car curve and not go onto the street, but more on the sidewalk. It was a scary moment, but it was definitely not the first time it has happened. It has happened about 5 times. Pro tip, if you live in New England or a place that gets lots of snow, I recommend getting snow tires for the winter. You see, my car didn't, so that is most likely why it slid down my driveway. Now my older sister came out to help quickly shovel the driveway, and put sand on the driveway. We didn't want the car to slide down the driveway, so we got rocks ready to place behind each tire so the car wouldn't roll. Kind of like if you have ever been on a large ferry with the elevated sides, they put blocks behind the cars that are on the ramps, so they won't roll. And the rock technique worked.

A few hours later I believe, it started raining. And the rain was not ideal at all. The snow was already really heavy, and the rain just made everything into slush, which it super heavy. After a few hours the rain stopped and nothing much happened for a long time. Snow plows were going through the streets and clearing them. Then later at night, it started snowing all over again, covering the ground with a new layer of white. At that time, my school was open on Wednesday, and everyone was praying for a closing. Keep in mind, that this snow day will possibly be our only non full week in March. I know that may seem like we're being babies, but from Winter break all the way through February vacation. And from February vacation all the way through April break (last week of April). And going from no full weeks, to full weeks every week, it's rough, not going to lie.

If you were affected by the winter storm Stella, let me know your snowy stories in the comments below.

Stay Warm,
-Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment